Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wk 4: Trends & Issues in IDT

1.  Select at least 3 contexts (business & industry, military, health care education, P-12 education, and post secondary education)  and compare/contrast the IDT trends and issues.  Then explain how they are similar or different from the IDT trends and issues in the context in which you work.

I thought I would find many more differences between military IDT than similarities with P-12 education, but was really surprised to see how many similarities there actually were.  Their approach to IDT is collaborative...they work with teams to come up with design for learning and with solutions.  They, too, have to figure out how to make use of new and changing technology, and part of this is making choices in what technology they need to make use of...and a lot of these choices are being made with funding restrictions in the forefront of the mix, and so they both have to be aware of how technology might change by the time implementation is underway.  Because of the rapidly changing technology and the costs involved, both P-12 education and the military must be careful not to always jump on the latest in technology for training.  It must be balanced with the actual costs involved.  Like many school districts that have multiple schools, the military has problems with the set-up across all it's branches.   Each branch/school has it's own way of doing things, it's own interests and needs, so coming up with a configuration that will work perfectly for all is difficult.   Compromises must be made through collaboration with leaders or subject matter experts from all divisions in the military and from campuses in a district.  The biggest and probably one of the most important similarities that jumped out at me was that both the military and P-12 education IDTs focus on developing life-long learners.  They don't want to just present the materials, but they are trying to create learning experiences for the students/trainees through collaboration with peers and often with varying types of simulations--a kind of problem based learning approach.  Surprisingly, the health industry IDT had many of the same similarities--problem based learning with simulations, encourage life-long learning, require learner active participation, collaboration amongst all divisions, subject matter experts.  The health industry and P-12 education IDT's both are turning to social networking tools allowing students to collaborate outside of class.  For instance, many P-12 classrooms are turning to the use of Edmodo for safe student collaboration outside of the classroom.  However, the health industry has so many different fields that often times they have many different donors and corporations funding different aspects due in large part to more educational research enabling them incorporate more of the newer technologies than the military and P-12 education might be able to.  Also, the military and health industries are more focused in their  usage of technology as a tool in training, whereas that focus is not set in education.  There are so many mixed approaches across educational campuses and districts so the effectiveness of this implementation is not being shown.  Maybe the military and health industries are more focused because of the life-and-death attributes to their fields.  A big point in the health industry IDT approach that could be very beneficial in P-12 IDT is the training in intrapersonal skills.  This is a very big part of any job in education, yet there is very little formal training on intrapersonal skills. 



I am pretty lucky to be working in my district...Allen ISD...as they are pretty dedicated to IDT and the training of professionals.  They try to keep all the schools in our district focused on the same learning goals and are encouraging teachers to collaborate not only in their own schools, but across the district and across the country as well.  We have instructional specialists for each subject matter who go to trainings across the nation and who visit schools across the nation to help find new ways to improve learning in our district.  They come back and hold district trainings to share new information and then come to each school weekly or bi-weekly to help train smaller teams of teachers more personally with new ideas.  They always welcome ideas and input from each teacher and are always willing to problem-solve with us.  They even will come and help present in the classroom.  Allen is trying to move to building learning experiences for the students, drifting away from a more behaviorist approach to teaching.  They are meeting with some resistance from some "old-school" teachers, but for the most part, teachers are willing to try new ways to make students life-long learners. 



2.  How and can we prepare our youth to address the problems of living in a world with 9 billion people when the earth's resources cannot sustain that many?  Does our current education system, curriculum, and instructional practices help learners foster the complex problem-solving skills necessary to tackle thee issues?  Are there methods and practices used in European and Asian countries that we should use here in the US?  Why or why not?

I think we have to focus on the fact that we have to figure out a way to prepare our youth to address the problems of the strain of overcrowding on our earth's resources.  We really have no choice.  To do this, we must focus on developing life-long learners who are adept problem solvers by focusing on developing the intrapersonal skills needed to work with all the differing cultures.  The more that technology is becoming prevalent in our schools and in our job force, the more teachers are going to have to work with people of differing cultures.  Understanding the differences helps to avoid accidental affronts to the traditions and beliefs of multicultural peers.  To help students become these adept collaborators and problem solvers, we need to create learning experiences such as problem based learning scenarios so students have practice collaborating with others, making on the spot decisions, and adjusting beliefs and practices based on new information.  We need to teach them how to use technology as a tool to discover new ideas and new information needed for these scenarios.  Our current public education system, curriculum, and instructional practices is currently lacking in these areas but gaining ground.  A big reason we are lacking in curriculum and practices is the reliance on standardized testing to assess whether or not learning has taken place.   With school and teacher accountability tied directly to the results of these tests, especially here in Texas, teachers do not feel able to create the learning experience scenarios necessary to create effective problem-solvers.  I think P-12 education is heading that way--many districts are supporting and even encouraging this shift in instructional approaches, but it is not as of yet widespread...partly because many teachers are not sure how to make the shift themselves.  I think that the fact that Japan feels their teachers are experts...that they require all teachers to have IDT training is a great thing.  I know some education course in the US have students take IDT classes, not all do.  And then you add in the fact that many educators of today have gone through alternative certification, then you have that many more without the knowledge of these instructional theories, which might very well negatively affect the type of learning going on in those classrooms.  Japan also allows their teachers license to creatively approach the type of learning going on in their classrooms, probably because they are considered experts and are highly revered.  I think if the US educational system would take a cue from the business industry and would encourage collaboration with other countries about IDT, that all of our educational systems would become that much stronger and would be able to better solve the problems our future holds.


6 comments:

  1. You are very lucky to be in a district that not only has instructional facilitators that come to your campus, but also that sends them out to explore how things are done outside of your district. Our district is still operating with a small town mentality even though we have nine elementary, two middle, and two high schools, and does not seem to want to change. When teachers ask for more training, their response is to see if anyone in the district is trying something new. Sometimes that is not a bad idea, but I would like to have someone train us that has been using the method longer than a few months.
    I agree with you that teachers who went through alternative certification sometimes do not have the knowledge of instructional theories. However, as someone who did alt-cert, I think we bring other things to the classroom as well. I personally feel my experience in the corporate setting allows me to see learning from a different perspective that adds to my teaching style in the classroom. I know what employers are looking for in perspective employees and pass that on to my students. While I was not well versed in instructional theories when I began teaching five years ago, I have learned through great mentors and colleagues how to be effective in the classroom. Sometimes on-the-job training can be more valuable than sitting in a classroom studying theory on how it should be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I absolutely agree that alt-cert have so much to bring to us...I have several at my school who are fantastic because they can bring information from the business industry that are so needed in our schools today! I was only speaking in terms of instructional design...and yes...I am one of those that learns far more from doing than from hearing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that your school district is utilizing instructional specialist to bring innovative ideas from across the country to your area. Some school districts are not open to exploring new technology and/or curriculum practices from other school districts across the country, failing to realize that change is needed. I also think with change, comes resistance. Just like some school districts, some teachers are no willing to stray from the "same ole same ole" techniques and practices in the classroom, to embrace a new way of meeting the needs of all students.

    RE

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm back. Kim really got me thinking, and as I looked back at my post, I think my statement about alternative certification really should have been a question or more accurately a series of questions. (As I wrote it really only shows one side.) Does being alternative certified necessarily mean a negative learning experience? Could students have just as high a chance at a negative learning experience with a fully trained teacher? Does having instructional design training make a good teacher? How many of us as educators had any knowledge of or even an understanding of instructional design theories when we went into our jobs? How many of us traditionally trained teachers who are not successful in the classroom...those who don't make learning a positive experience in their classroom? Isn't it more important to have someone who gets students...how their brain works...their attitudes...and can make adjustments on the fly to meet the learning needs of their students at any given moment? Couldn't an alternatively certified person be as good as, if not better than, a university trained teacher? I think so...what about you? After all, when you look at the business industry and health industry trainings and experiences and their similarities to those in the educational venue, then there really shouldn't be a problem with alternative certification.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I think you should post these questions in the virtual office on eCollege for everyone to comment. In the meantime, I think that all teachers regardless of how they received their teacher education may be ineffective. Just like each student has individual knowledge that may enlighten the class discussion, so does each teacher. We have a math teacher at our school that parents and students alike complain about. She is fairly disorganized and when students ask questions about something they don't know, she makes them feel like it is a dumb question or she has answered it already so they should know the answer. When asked why she is still teaching at our school, the answer is her test scores are always high. Most of her Pre-AP Math students went to another teacher for tutorials because they did not feel she would help them. How sad that our students felt they could not go to their teacher for help. This teacher has been teaching for more than 15 years and went to college to be a teacher.
    So, I am not sure if having instructional design training always makes a good teacher. I think it is as you say, teachers need to have some idea of where the students are coming from and how they learn and then use that to to meet their needs. That is not always something you get from a college course, but who you truly are inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True, Kim...and thanks for really making me think!! I got so wrapped up in answering the assignment, I didn't take my explanation all the way through!

    And...I just posted the questions under week 4 reflection cues...you might want to put your response there, too

    ReplyDelete